New Canaan Historical Society: A Connecticut Museum
About Us

Since our founding in 1889, the New Canaan Historical Society has carried out its mission "to bring together and arrange the historical events of the town of New Canaan, the genealogies of the families who have lived in the town, to form a library and to collect relics and curiosities, to form a museum."

To this day we accomplish that by promoting historic preservation, aiding researchers, maintaining museums and historical sites, mounting exhibitions, holding educational events and tours, and building an awareness and appreciation of our Town’s rich past.

Our founders included the descendants of some of New Canaan’s first families -- among them Mr. & Mrs. Frederick Lockwood, Charles R. Abbott, Alexander Law, S.Y. St. John, James and Edwin Hoyt, Lucius Monroe Sr., Francis E, Weed, Mr. & Mrs. Henry B. Rogers, and Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Silliman. Today the Society welcomes all members -- descendants of early settlers and more recent arrivals included.

At our headquarters, in the 1825 Town House, the Society maintains a research library of more than 3,500 volumes, along with scores of manuscripts, deeds, newspapers, photographs and other documents dating to the colonial era.

The Society owns or operates eight museums and buildings, including the 1764 Hanford-Silliman House, the 1960 Gores Pavilion, and the Rogers Studio and Museum, which, with Philip Johnson’s Glass House, is one of only two National Historic Landmarks in New Canaan.

The Society is an open, inclusive, family organization, and we hold a full schedule of events, gatherings, lectures, tours, and exhibitions, a summer camp, and a year-round schedule of educational workshops.

Our goal is to educate and enlighten the public in an atmosphere that is welcoming, friendly and fun.

Please join us! Our membership rates are reasonable and we are open to all!

The New Canaan Historical Society:

13 Oenoke Ridge Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
phone 203 966-1776
fax 203 972-5917
newcanaan.historical@gmail.com

STAFF:
  • Janet Lindstrom, Executive Director
  • Kim Mellin, Director of Education
  • Jennifer Milani, Librarian/Archivist
BOARD OF GOVERNORS:
  • R. Bailey Stewart, President

  • Sperry DeCew, Vice President
  • Edward Vollmer, Vice President

  • Janice Luddy, Treasurer

  • Robin Wolyner, Secretary

  • Frederick Afragola
  • James Bach
  • Susan Bishop
  • Kathleen Bordelon
  • Carl Bulgini
  • Douglas Dooley
  • Stephen Gravereaux
  • William Gardner
  • Leo E. Karl, Jr.
  • Mark Markiewicz
  • Thomas Monahan
  • Barbara Porterfield
  • Susan Serven
  • Fisina Tomaselli
  • Joanna Williams

  • Rob Mallozzi III, (ex officio)

ADVISORY COMMITTEE:
  • Andrew M. Clarkson
  • Edmund J. Chrostowski
  • V. Donald Hersam, Jr.

HONORARY:
  • Mildred Baehr
  • Shirley Bird
  • Ruth Kellogg
  • Sonia Macdonald