New Canaan Historical Society: A Connecticut Museum
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums
connecticut museums connecticut museums connecticut museums connecticut museums
john_rogers

Rogers Studio & Museum. 1878.

Rogers Studio & Museum. 1878. John Rogers, known as "the people's sculptor" for his popular, mass-produced statuary, built this studio and worked in it in the later years of the 19th century. It is one of only two National Historic Landmarks in New Canaan (the Glass House is the other). A small, Gothic-Victorian building, it was originally located nearby on what is now the property of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. The Society acquired it and moved it to its current location in 1960. It has been carefully restored and conveys to 21st-century visitors the feeling of a Victorian artist's studio. Rogers was known for his popular "Rogers Groups" — plaster statues of Civil War soldiers, or people in sentimental scenes, such as church-goers in their pews, or an organ grinder and monkey entertaining two children. The National Park Service said the Rogers Studio and Museum possesses "one of the finest collections of Rogers groups in the nation."

The Rogers Studio is connected to the other Society museums by the new Heritage Restoration Walkway. You can support the maintenance of the Rogers Studio, the Rogers sculptures and the surrounding grounds by buying an inscribed white granite block for the walkway. The cost of $150 per brick is tax-deductible. We hope that eventually the Heritage Restoration Walkway will connect all our museums. For more information, visit the Town House office, call 203-966-1776 or email the Society at newcanaan.historical@snet.net.